The E2 Visa Process
The E2 visa process can appear overwhelming at first, but by following the steps set out for you everything will be clear from the start. Please follow all instruction sent to you carefully to ensure that everything will go smoothly and that important information is not omitted. By taking this process very seriously, you are showing your commitment to the school and to Teach ESL Korea. We appreciate your diligence and are there at every step to help out with any questions you may have.
The E2 process is started as soon as you sign a contract with your chosen school. Once you have an interview with the school and have reviewed the contract, the school will expect you to sign it and send it along with your documents. Here is a complete list of the documents you will be expected to send immediately following your acceptance:
- The signed contract
- Your original degree (if sending a copy, it must be notarized and apostilled/verified)
- 1 set of Sealed university transcripts (unopened) (Please make sure you have at least 3 sets of transcripts)
- Copy of the Info Page in your Passport
- 4 color passport photos (only original photos will be accepted)
- A Signed copy of your resume with correct address and contact information
- Criminal Record Check:
- Canadian Teachers:
- Must be issued within last 6 months and include a search of national databases (e.g. RCMP)
- Must include VULNERABLE SECTOR SEARCH
- Must be notarized on the copy of the criminal record check by a public notary
- Must be confirmed by a Korean Consulate
Note: To be confirmed by a Korean Consulate, you can visit the Consulate with the notarized criminal record check, a passport and a fee of $4.40 CAD. If you do not live in the area, please send it by mail (Express Post or Priority Courier) including the notarized criminal record, fee $4.40 CAD (money order), a copy of passport, and a return envelope(Express Post or Priority Courier).
- All other Teachers:
- Must be issued within last 6 months by your State Police Office/State CourthouseMust be notarized on the original criminal record check by Apostille
- Medical Statement Form
- Complete 'Health Statement' form and send it to Korea. (PDF | DOC)
- Once you arrive in Korea, visit a general hospital or community health center to obtain medical exam certificate to apply for Alien Registration at a local immigration office within 90 days of arrival.
- Important: All applicants, except those who worked previously with an E1, E2, E3 visa in Korea without any illegal activities, must have an interview at the consulate by a consul.
- (You will need to call your nearest Consulate once you receive your E2#)
- Teachers who have taught in Korea with an E1, E2, or E3 visa wont need an interview and can receive their E2 visa again through a Korean Consulate in another country. (i.e. Japan)
- Your document package should be sent to your school using Fed EX or DHL. Once this is sent, you will provide Teach ESL Korea with the Tracking number.
The time it takes to process your E2 visa by the Korean Immigration Office can vary depending on the volume of applications they receive at the time. It will usually be completed within 2 weeks. Once the school receives your E2 visa number, it will be sent to you by Teach ESL Korea with instructions for the next step.
The first thing you will need to do once you receive your E2 # is to call the nearest Korean Consulate and set up a date and time for your interview. At the time of the interview, you can arrange to pick up your stamped passport. Some consulates may be able to conduct the interview over the phone in special circumstances, such as distance. However, this is not a given so please be prepared to make the trip.
You will be asked to provide the following documents to the nearest Korean Consulate (insert link to Korean Consulate main page), either in person (preferred) or by mail if there is sufficient time.
- Passport with remaining validity of at least 6 months, plus a copy
- A completed visa application form with E2 # Download PDF | .doc
- A passport photo(2"x2" color)
- Fee ( ($55 CAD, $45 USD, NZ $50 USD, A$75, UK 27)
(By mail: money order only, payable to: The Korean Consulate General)
- 1 Set of Sealed University Transcripts
- In case of applying by mail please provide a prepaid postage return envelope (Express post or Priority Courier) with complete address. (FedEx, DHL, Purolator will not be accepted.) Only money orders are accepted for applications by mail (no personal cheques) and cash/money order if you come in person.
Once again, it is very important that all the instructions are followed exactly. If anything is not done properly, it can set back the visa process. We thoroughly appreciate your diligence on this.
Obtaining your passport with the E2 visa stamp should not take a long time, especially when you apply in person. With your stamped passport, you are now ready to board a plane and make your way to Korea. If youve followed all the steps carefully, you are now ready to teach English in Korea.
Congratulations on obtaining your E2 visa!!!